Monday, May 7, 2012

Love is a wonderful thing

I had to go to the doctor today.  Yesterday, I started experiencing a sharp, stabbing-like pain in my lower back on the left (in the general vicinity of where my kidney is), and given that I only have one functioning kidney, I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I went to get it checked out.

What I didn't expect was to meet an elderly couple who were also there for an appointment (the husband was).  When they arrived, the office staff hadn't yet returned from lunch.  The husband took off his jacket, hung it up, and patiently waited for his wife to hand him her jacket as well, and dutifully hung it up for her.  She patted him on the back, thanked him, and said to me, "He's such a gentleman."  I told her that he was part of a dying breed of man, and that she shouldn't let him get away.

As we chatted, it became more and more apparent just how very much in love with each other they still are.  They will have been married 59 years next month.  They renewed their vows on their 50th anniversary in the church in which they'd been originally married.  The husband commented that they had to renew their vows because their original marriage license was only good for the first 50 years.  I commented back that they had another 41 to go. 


While her husband was confirming his appointment with the receptionist (who was teasing him about who he'd brought with him - his mistress, a girlfriend, etc.), I told the wife that she really had found a good one, and she got such a twinkle in her eye as she replied that yes, she had indeed. When he returned to his seat next to her, they held hands.

They were an absolutely *adorable* couple.  When I was called in for my appointment, I wished them many more years of happiness together, and thanked them for being who they are.

And you know... one might think that a simple conversation with a couple strangers wouldn't have much of an impact on anyone's day, but seeing the two of them together, so obviously in love still, after 59 years together... it really made my day.  It warmed my heart to a point where I actually teared up a bit a couple times while talking with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment